Tuesday, September 23, 2008

My Favorite Scone Recipe

1 cup sour cream
1 tsp baking soda
4 cups flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp cream of tarter
1 tsp salt
1 stick butter
1/2 cup Smart Balance, not light
1 egg
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp Smart Balance
Turbinado sugar for dusting

In a small bowl, blend sour cream and baking soda. Set aside. In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, cream of tarter, and salt. Cut in butter and Smart Balance. Stir in sour cream mixture and beaten egg into flour mixture until just moistened. Turn dough out onto slightly floured surface and knead briefly.

Roll or pat dough into 1" thick round. Add any variation ingredient, for a total amount of approx 2 cups. (I like to split dough into 2 halves and make 2 different variations of scones using approx one cup of ingredient per dough half.) Press variation ingredient into dough, fold disc in half and then in half again. Flatten into 3/4 in thick round. Cut into wedges...16 wedges in 1 large round...8 wedges per 1 small (half of dough) round.

Place on baking sheet 2 inches apart...melt 2 tbsp smart balance and mix with cinnamon. Brush onto tops of scones and sprinkle with Turbinado sugar.

Variation Examples: cinnamon chips, blueberries, raspberries, dried cranberries, choco chips, walnuts or pecans, raisins, etc.

Bake in 350 degree oven for 12 to 15 min.

These scones freeze really well... just warm in oven for 10 min at 350 degrees before serving.

5 comments:

Brianne said...

These scones are delicious!

Rebecca said...

Mmmmm...I was just thinking I'd like to have a good scone recipe. I'll have to try!

Monica Wilkinson said...

Mmmm - I love scones! I'll have to give these a try! Happy Birthday a couple of days late! :)
Monica

Monica Wilkinson said...

PS: Your blog looks great! Love the Fall look ~

Monica Wilkinson said...

Ok, one more question - isn't Smart Balance a brand? Don't they have oil and butter? Which do you use? Or am I mixed up...